Sunday, April 15, 2007
YADI
(Yet Another Darn Interview)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was wearing a "Bindi".

The red dot on the forehead of the man who entered the room sucked my attention like a magnet. Having been turned down for a position a week ago, I tried applying for this indian company. I don't particularly like indian companies, and I can't recall ever saying to myself "When I grow up, I wanna work for Indians", but the shock of that letdown was that large I guess.

Hey gimme a break ok, some people go on drinking binges when they have problems. Me, I just go and talk with a guy name Arnu.

Anyway, the interview proceeded in roughly in this manner:

Mgr: (Enters, sits and immediately looks at his cellphone)
Me: Stands, tries to extend hand.. blinks.. then after awhile sits..
Mgr: You uhh. *grunts* like japan
Me: Yeah, definitely.. I like it here and..
Mgr: (interrupts).. Really.. (smirks)

What was that? I was taken aback. I was thinking to myself, what's this guy doing? Is this how you treat a guy who you've just met? Granted this is an interview but, c'mon now. You know if my mother saw us, I can just imagine her saying "Ay hijo, walang breeding" (note: something like: He got no manners)

But maybe it was just a show right? I used to be a supervisor and when I was interviewing applicants, I sometimes pull the same shtick. Make them sweat a little you know. So I just smiled sweetly and proceeded to ignore his gruntings. I took a day off for this, and it seems such a waste to just walk away from there. Which admittedly I was tempted to do. But it was a good thing I didn't walk out it turned out. I learned a lot about Indian companies at that time (Yes, I've formed a stereotype from this encounter)

Like - It was true what they said - Indian interviews tends to be technical. I haven't felt so tested like this in a long time. I mean, next thing I know I was drawing the waterfall model, explaining quality targets, if I programmed using threads, etc.. etc.. He even paused periodically, shows me his cell phone and asked me to translate the text contained there. (My tongue got itchy speaking so much Japanese)

But the killer was when he even asked me to describe MOAP (Note: A library used in cellular phone development). Que horror - I already forgot what MOAP was.. agk.. I was forced to
scrape together some stuff, throw it at him and hope it sticks..

Anyway, after an hour the interview came to an end at last, or so I thought. After 10min he came back with a newspaper and asked me read it. Which I did... for about 5 sentences. C'mon, if that was an engineering specs, I would have chewed it like a juicy fruit. But a newspaper?
Thats like setting me up to fail. Why? Maybe because I only know work-related Japanese? Grumble2x.

I mean I don't read those stuff. I'm not interested where Rika Ishikawa is now. I'm married and so I have no interest in other girls. None whatsoever. Zip. Nadda.

Uhm.. Yes, my wife is reading this. So? I don't see why that has anything to do with it.

=>

(Btw: I bet you're google'ingRika Ishikawa right now)

Anyway, leaving my incredulousness aside:

[Where do we go from here]
Well, I still got a job. The money isn't so high but I'm able to save a few bucks now and then..
and yes, if you hadn't noticed, I'm convincing myself to stay. After what happened, I ain't gonna work for that dude. A pity cause despite all that, I think he liked me. You don't spend an hour and then come back test me again if you don't right? And besides "You only hurt the one you love".. hehe.. I sensed he was half-convinced I was the right man for the job, and he was just making sure.

A pity I don't feel like it anymore..

But now, I felt like the runners who followed Forrest Gump. When Forrest stopped running they're like "Nowhatdowedo?"

So yeah - Now what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addition:
This post is supposed to be before the "I got the job" post. Which means that after this, yes I got this job. And even though I said here I ain't gonna work for that dude, I'm still getting tempted. I'm still thinking right now whether to accept or not. I got until the end of the month to decide.
 
posted by Nezha at 6:30 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger transformation

    this is wonderful stuff!

    you sound like such a fine, marvelous person. i wish to read more of your work, and am promoting you on my sidebar (rank order NOT set, but definite top third, middle, and bottom or inactive).

    i lived in japan after a stint in korea (temple), and it was very hard. i could have put something together, and decided in the end to just go back home.

    i have friends who are gay or black, but indians just drive me totally nuts.... verry, veddy, verry quicklly, vedddy crazzy!

    my guru spoke with great fondness of her guru, and i respect THAT tradition, but id have to go back on alcohol to work for indians.

    how is the chess?

    stop on by, if you can.

    warmly, david