Saturday, August 15, 2009
Focal Point H7
Continuing my ongoing study with the Art of attack book;

But before that, let me just state that I find the book itself dry and hard to read. There are times when I dread having to read that book as the experience is akin to having nails pounded on ones head. It is certainly not like reading 'simple chess' or 'how to become a deadly chess tactician'

But for all this, the book has a very good collection of games and it does give you ideas focused around a central theme; that of attacking the vital parts of an opponents position. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a swordsman. A true master of the blade does not go in hacking blindly, but instead each cut or swing is aimed on a body part. Perhaps the arm, or the legs, or some other sensitive organ. In like manner, in giving games where the central theme is an attack on a particular square, I am given ideas and targets in which to bent my frustrations.

I'm not a master by any stretch of imagination as the next game I'm about to show illustrates, but having some plan is better than having none at all.

Anyway, this game is my latest effort on applying what I've been learning. Its a horrible game actually, but at least I was able to use the idea of - An attack based on the focal point H7.

In the game, I played 10 nh3 hoping to sacrifice my bishop but alas, too late did I notice that my opponent had a very strong defensive move, which he found by the way.

Although, the maxim 'The winner of a chess game is He who made the second to the last mistake' held true.


 
posted by Nezha at 8:57 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments: