Friday, June 01, 2007
Time trouble
1. Time Trouble

Have you been in the situation where you are winning a chess game. The position is overwhelmingly in your favor. Only you cant figure out the win? You just feel its somewhere in there, but where!? Only, you are very low on time. You have only 5min to the opponents 1hour and you are getting nervous because you are starting to doubt yourself if you can find the win in so short a time.

I guess this is whats happening now to me. You know about my work troubles and how my previous company wanted to sue me. Well, I did everything I could reasonably do. I went to the labor center, went to the embassy to ask for support, went and told my new employer what happened. All indications, and everybody I talked to said that the case is really in my favor.

But

You just know there is a but somewhere there.

But, I am running out of time and funds. My first salary wont be until the 25th, and its only the 1st. If somehow my opponent did something that will require me to pay a large sum of money between now and then, something big like oh.. went ahead and really filed that suit against me, necessitating me to obtain the services of a lawyer - My finances will collapse.

Now, even though things are really quiet right now - I am not naive to think that they will suddenly get tried of things and just leave me be. Things are actually too quiet for my taste. It tells me something big is gonna do down sometime sooner or later

I just hope its later rather than sooner.

2. My work

Not all is depressing stuff however. The bright side to things is that I'm really enjoying my new work and is convinced that everything that happened will be worth it if I can continue working like this for at least a year or two.

My actual job title is "SoftwareEngineer 3". However, my actual job is more like being an Server Admin. Or rather a desktop help? Or tech support? Coming from 10 years of software development background, I could say that this is way cooler :)

Well, I mean creating little software modules is satisfying in its own way, however - building things, troubleshooting problems, and connecting computers to the network seems to me to be much more fun. Its either that or my previous jobs really sucked and I just didnt know it then.

Plus - My next job is gonna be far, far, far more high paying after this :)

Hehehehe.. Of course I'm plotting my next few moves even now. Yeah, I'm happy here and I couldnt imagine transferring again. But I didnt imagine getting sued either. Its better to have a plan-B all the time, If you know what I'm saying.

Tactics are the result of attacking two things both at the same time. This is Chess-101.

Everyone should have a Plan-A and a Plan-B

Right!?


 
posted by Nezha at 1:04 AM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Working for a large company with a job title such as "SoftwareEngineer 3" will surely limit your technical growth and provide little opportunity for advancement.

    If you are a talented developer, you need to quit that job and work for a small company for a few years. You will gain more diverse experience and more opportunities for advancement.

    Afterward you can return to the large companies, but as a consultant, with a substantial hourly rate :-)