Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Kinda Scary
Stepping away from chess has alowed me to be more objective in my assessments of my "chess" career, and showed to me its true impact on a persons life. What I found with my newfound outsider eye is this - The amount of time a chess enthusiast spends on the game borders on "unhealthy".

I mean, when I read chess blogs, all I see is - I spent all day analysing this.. learning that.. playing online, OTB, correspondence.. I bet, If we can perhaps tabulate the amount of time spent by your usual chess addict on the game, my guess is that it would go upward starting from 4 hours everyday (I know I used to spend this and more on weekends).

Now, if we replace chess with say - X-box, imagine what it would sound like? You spend 4 hours a day playing X-Box? Now, I dont suppose to compare X-box with chess (although there is chess in X-Box I gather, and so you can theoretically play 4 hours of X-box and chess both at the same time). But the point is - to an outsider, there is really no difference. They would think, and perhaps righly so, that a mature person aught not to spend such a large amount of time on a "mere" game?

- Ok, there is no point in this. Just sharing my obsservasion at this current point in time.

--------------------------

Anyway, heh - I told you all so.. Topalov will win. I nezha have applied my world renowned powers of prediction, and have seen all possibilities. Hey did anyone see his piece sacrifice against Svidler? I bet I can do that same sacrifice after 10minutes of think. And you my readers, I bet it takes you 20minutes..

I'm out like Anands chances..
(Yeah, I've been reading too many basketball blogs.. =>)
 
posted by Nezha at 4:02 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger CelticDeath

    That's why I study in the bathtub! Gotta squeeze those study minutes out somehow!!! :)

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    Ok, you convinced me. I start with 4 hours per day to study guitar:)

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight

    Some chess quotes from this site:

    Chess is one long regret. – Stephen Leacock

    Chess is too serious to be enjoyable, and too frivolous to be worth taking seriously. – Source Unknown

    Chess is not a game but a disease. – Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman

    For surely, of all the drugs in the world, chess must be the most permanently pleasurable. – Assiac

    Chess is only a recreation and not an occupation. – Vladimir Lenin

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Nezha

    > But can he claim he's world champion if he wins ... ?

    In my mind he is. I'm sure kramnik lovers will not recognize him.. Kramnik can claim all he wants that he is the champion because he has the "title". Ditto for fischer lovers..

    But the fact of the matter is, in my book, having a crown placed on your head does not make you a champion. Being a champion means to me that you have proven in the field of battle that you are worthy of the supreme title.

    Kramnik might have defeated kasparov, but that was 5 years ago. That was yesterday. He "was" champion. Now this years champion is topalov. The champion "is" topalov.

    (Topalov has been laying the smackdown in such a convincing fashion, and we are talking about the very top players here, that there is no doubt in my mind.)

    But of course topy might suddenly breakdown, and lose all his games. In such case I will have to eat crow.

    But with topy having a "candado" like that? I doubt it.