Sunday, July 17, 2005
Hey, I got a yellow card
I had the flue last week, and round 4 in the teamchess tournament was a bye, so I figured I still have time before I play round 5. Little did I know that it had already started, and that I "lost" by default. I even had a "yellow" card as a warning. This marks my first official loss at the t45/45 tourney. dang, I was hoping to go undefeated =>

On other news

Because of the flu, I hadnt been able to do any sort of chess training for a period of two weeks. Already I can feel a slight weakening to my game. Constant training is really needed to improve. Taking long breaks is hurting my game.

I also played about 30 OTB games this weekend. Mostly against my old chess partners. I won some, I lost some. But I think I am a better on-line player than an OTB player. I am so used to 2D boards, that a real 3D board seemed strange to my eyes.

Lately, I am also waxing philosophical. I mean asking myself questions as - why do I play chess. Is chess a hobby or a sport? Why do I need to get better? or I just want something to do and chess exercises just fills that empty hole inside? Why are some players better than the others? I train just as hard, why am I not better? - things like this. Can somebody tell me the answers? I need to know this things.

And since we are in the question portion, I would like to add a couple more like -
  • 1. I know I need to pay attention to my opponents moves, but why dont I?
  • 2. I really need to pay attention to my opponents moves, but why dont I?
  • 3. I really, really need to pay attention to my opponents moves, but why dont I?
    Arrrg, If I had a dollar for every won game I lost due to inattention to my opponents last trap - I'd be a millionaire by now. I know the problem, I know the solution, but I am frustrated by my apparent inability to correct it. I dont know if any of the knights encountered the same problem. If so - how were you able to overcome it?
  •  
    posted by Nezha at 10:48 PM | Permalink |


    3 Comments:


    • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza

      Having a summertime flu sucks.
      Glad you are starting to feel better.

       
    • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza

      One thing I found was good advice from Silman was to "play as if you're life depends on it!" When I am intense on the board I play better. I see my opponents moves, I know when pieces are hanging, and I spot traps. When I drop my guard, and sort of just move pieces to move pieces I get crushed. Yet, knowing this, you'd think I'd approach the game with the eye of the tiger everytime, but sadly this is not the case. I fall prey to you're same problem.

       
    • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker

      I have the same trouble at the moment during the tournament. Half the time I forget to scan and play in my old way.
      I suspect that isolated training plays a keyrole here. I decomposed the scanning exercises to its most basic components. This are the simplest basic skills that are possible.
      Playing a game of chess with our state of mind can be compared with exercising your muscles with a too heavy weight.
      You if to train the individual muscular groups first with the right weights before you can make overall progress.