Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Mr ShallowMan
After my last loss, I logged-in to FICS hoping to get some revenge. But - all the players I challenged declined (I think they prefer blitz or something). So anyway, whats a guy to do? I really wanted to play, so I was forced to accept a seek from a 1603 player. The result of which is this game:




My opponent played some horrible opening mistakes here. It almost seemed like he was inviting me to attack. Too bad I am a DLM graduate. I have solved quite a few positions involving the tactical motiff of the hanging bishop - so I found that move instanteaneausly. I think anyone who have ever gone thru CTArt would instantly recognize the silent sacrifice I used.

Ok, I admit - playing games against weaker opponents is really bad for my game. I am not forced to think. I become lax in my OTB discipline. But still, the aesthetic satisfaction when I make a sacrifice is very good. I mean, competition wise, I probably shouldnt rejoice too much beating someone 150 points lower- but it feels good just the same.. I'm sooo shallow.. hehe..

--
I browsed the CTServer the other day, and know what I found? - there were some guys there who have over 20,000 tries. Wow! That guy must *really* want to become a better tactician. The othe thing I noticed is that at my current level, the motiffs are very easy. Like a simple pin, or fork. Its just that my recognition of this takes some time. Im hoping that solving problems there will help me speedup my pattern recognition.
 
posted by Nezha at 6:37 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa

    Nice win :) it's always fun to pull off stunts like that.

    The guys with 26,000 tries and the like have been on that site for quite a while..

     
  • At 4:46 AM, Blogger bahus

    Not bad!

    I find it much easier to lose against an opponent 150 points lower than to win an opponent that's 150 higher. Very strange..

    BTW, Have you checked the rating improvement of the guys with 20K++ trys? I'd imagine their ratings would go slowly upwards but they are more or less the same as when they started.

    - bahus

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Christian

    It may be difficult to improve above 1700 or so when thinking longer than 10 seconds is punished.

     
  • At 1:27 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa

    These statistics are more than enough for me to not waste my time doing such for too long. It's rather fun so i will still be doing some problems there. Also good to get a rating on how you see things instantly.

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza

    Nice attack!