Thursday, June 30, 2005
My Training Plan
I have now been able to put together a coherent post-circles training plan. The plan I devised is really very simple, its just the amount of work needed that's gonna make it hard =>

Existing Precondition:
The other day, I was really tempted to buy "ABC of chess middlegame" from chessbase. It teaches basic positional play, and I think I really need to brush that side of my game. With that said, I didnt buy it. I realize that if I do, it would just sit in the shelf collecting particles.

No matter how much I want, I really dont have time to study everything. Family and work obligations limit the time I can spend each day. Maybe an hour, or if I'm lucky two. So I really have to be selective in what I do. It also means that if I try to study positional play, or even endgames, the amount of time devoted to tactics will decrease. We all know that aint gonna happen.

At first glance it seems that after such an intense tactics bootcamp, It would make more sense to turn my attention to some other things. But even though I have completed the seven circles, I feel that I am just starting to understand tactics. Its like I'm at the edge of discovery. I feel that the circles just opened the door for me, and tactical mastery is just around the corner. It's there patiently waiting for me, and I just have to go towards it. It really feels premature to consider dropping tactical study at this stage.

The Goal
Unlike others who wants to become a complete chessplayer (Not that theres anything wrong with that), I am more concerned in learning only the things that would allow me to defeat the opponents I play with. Namely sub-1900 players. Tempo's post provided a sharp example on how this is done. He went 0-30 against a 6-ply computer. 0-30! I bet that were we to play, I wouldnt be able to achieve such a remarkable feat. So then, the path is clear. If I were to manage to think 6ply deep, and not miss any simple tactic, I would beat a sub1900 player to a bloody pulp. Isnt it as simple as that?

Ok - so now, I present my latest and greatest training plan for chess improvement. This idea is based upon the theory that I only need to develop two things to be the meanest, baddest, chess terminator in town. Tactics and Calculation.

Stage II: Post-Cicle Plan

Tactical Training
1. Speed Training
Chess Tactics Server:
Estimate: 70per day.
Total Target Tries: 6,100

2. Accuracy
Dejasacchi Tactics
300 Easy: 3x: A total of 900 tries
900 Medium: 3x a total of 2,700 tries

Calculation Training
1. Dejasacchi Tactics
300 Hard: 1x a total of 300 tries

For a sum total of 10,000 tries in solving tactical puzzles. Extreme!!!! - But there is no schedule.Nooooo.. No more schedule for me..

--------
Anyway, here is a game where I was able to use my newfound tactical understanding. I exploited the pin to its fullest before cashing in.

 
posted by Nezha at 10:42 PM | Permalink |


12 Comments:


  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa

    Sounds like an interesting plan. I think when i finish my circles i'll do a combination of TCT (for pattern recognition of basic motifs) and Mate Studies (for calculation). Which is rather similar to yours though i think TCT is more complete and higher quality for pattern recog than the Chess Tactics Server. I also believe in intense calculation which i find in Mate Studies. gl ;)

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    If I were to manage to think 6ply deep, and not miss any simple tactic, I would beat a sub1900 player to a bloody pulp. Isnt it as simple as that?

    The point is, you already know these simple tactics! No reason to train another 10,000 here.
    You have to ask yourself the question:"if I already have these tactical motifs stored in my brains, why do I don't use them?".
    I don't want to critisize your plan, or put you down, because it is a good plan and good to do. It will give you definitely good results. But it doesn't adress the main point: if you simple don't look at a part of the board, you will miss ANY tactic there. Known or unknown, simple or complex. So you have to find a way that garuantees that you look everywhere where tactics can arise.

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    To give an example: did you notice you missed a mate in one in your game?
    Not because you don't know the pattern!

     
  • At 2:04 AM, Blogger Nezha

    To Tempo:

    > if I already have these tactical motifs stored in my brains

    Sad to say - its not in my brain. I mean, there are patterns in my brain, but I dont think it is nearly enough. Even after completing the seven circles, my recognition skills is still not to my satisfaction. Hence the pattern training.

    For your case, you already did 17,000 exercises so you have legitimate claim to have patterns stored. I only did about 1000 (700 in the circles + 300 from other books). The gap is way too far apart, dont you think?

    > I don't want to critisize your plan

    Nah.. I know you dont do that. And if you did, its alright. We can agree to disagree =>
    (Critisms from friends are most welcome.)

    > So you have to find a way
    I am actually keeping an eye on what you are doing. If you succeed in that, maybe I'll adopt it too.

     
  • At 4:06 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    I can't read if you commented your game with PetkoNikolic (it doesn't show in my browser).
    How about the mate in #1 you missed there on move 31?
    Sorry to be so persistent to carry on my point.

     
  • At 5:00 AM, Blogger takchess

    nice game.
    Jim takchess

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Nezha

    > How about the mate in #1 you missed there on move 31?

    Yes, there was one right there. I only saw it now when you pointed it out. I was just too focused on simplifying that I didnt noticed.

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa

    Hmm i think tempos has a point. I'm not so bad at tactics but i don't put what i know to use and therefore am a weak player.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger bahus

    When I went through your game I missed that 31..Rxf1# as well. But I did notice a forced mate on move 35:

    35..Rxg2 36.Rf3 Be7+ 37.Rf6+ gxf6 38.exf6 {only move} 38..Bxf6#

    Still a remarkable difference to some of your older games. You've clearly improved a lot. I almost feel sorry for those U1600 players that have to face you on 2nd board...

    - bahus

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger JavaManIssa

    I feel sorry for them too :)

     
  • At 4:02 AM, Blogger Nezha

    To bahus:
    > But I did notice a forced mate on move 35:

    Sometimes, I get so caught up in something that I dont think of anything else. This case, I just wanted to simplify.. the win maybe longer, but I no longer even have to think..

    Not a few teachers suggest to - if you see a good move look for a better one..

    In my case - If I see a workable move or plan, I stick to it no matter what..

    ps.
    I see tempo's point too..

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Sure there have been phone sex chat injuries, and even some deaths in boxing,
    but none of them really that serious. phone sex chat