Friday, September 04, 2009
The classic bishop sacrifice at last!!!
First: The game.

One of those things that I've always wanted to do.

Ever since I've read the art of attack, I've always wanted to do the classical bishop sacrifice. I've tried it a few weeks ago, but my opponent was able to withstand it and I lost on a piece down ending.

I kept thinking I'll just do it again next time, but the opportunity never came again. The position wherein the classical bishop sacrifice appears is rare so it seems.

Until this game fell out of the sky. I kept thinking 'Nah.. it couldn't be..' then he castled into it 'but but.. it is..'

Although actually, in here the position does not actually conforms to the 'ideal' as there is one element missing - A forward pawn on the e-file..

But I couldn't help myself. What kind of a sacrificer am I if I don't accept the challenge of such situations?

As Spielman said I need 'belief in the position and belief in oneself'

Am I just dreaming?
Aha!! I will offer this sacrifice in honor of Nezhmetdinov.

Although -

The game itself was a procession of botched chances and missed opportunities. I did manage to win in the end, but it was really - how shall I say it.. 'not solid'.. it required the assistance of my opponent to get the win.

I could've kicked myself.. I failed to find some strong moves.. moves that could have ended it earlier and would have made the win that much more satisfying.. the blindness again.. it rears its ugly head.

But the good thing is I am seeing the moves I've missed and who knows, maybe next time my attacking technique would be stronger..

I leave you now with a quote on what I think is whats my chess looks like (not that I compare myself with such a strong GM. but its the idea that matters)

No matter how much we have tried to convince Spielmann of the impossibility of surviving on nothing more than developing and attacking moves (and I have tried hardest of all, through my books and our conversations) still he tries, almost as a matter of principle, to avoid the necessity of defence!
Nimzowitsch
 
posted by Nezha at 10:07 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger CMoB

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger From the patzer

    Nimzo was right, defense is part of the game.

    Nice bishop sacriface but i am not sure that it's winning the game if white doesn't help like he did in the game.

    Nevertheless you dared to play Nxh2+ so kudos to you for courage.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger From the patzer

    Make that Bxh2+ instead of Nxh2+ in my previous comment.