Thursday, April 28, 2005
Prophylaxis
I really need to have this habit. I played a game at FICS yesterday, and I already have a won game. But then I got too caught up with my plans, that I overlooked a sneaky trap by my opponent. He got back into the game, instead of swimming with the fishes (I saw The Godfather last night). I can't wait to finish all these training programs I got lined up. Maybe after that I can tackle Dvoretsky's book. They say he place very heavy emphasis on prophylactic thinking. So now there is yet another book I have placed on my wish list. Maybe I can finish them all by 2010. Now, it might be asked, why not just read "My system". But you know, I do not want instructional books. I prefer to use workbooks. One with oodles of exercises. I think solving problmes myself gives me greater understanding than just reading something.

Computer programmer
Based on the comments on the last post, and some other blogs, I noticed that a *lot*
of the knights, and the friends are computer programmers. This might only be a supposition, but the alledged programmers are: Nezha, Don, Fussy, Fatboy, Psalcido, Scitcat, Fraktal. (I might have missed someone, if so please give me a line). Anyway, maybe there is something common with learning algorithms and chess? Are programmers inherently attracted to things needing problem solving skills? Is it in the genes common to people who work with binary logic? Ah, the great mysteries of life.

Circle 4:
I am at problem 216. 500++ more problems to go before completion. Right now I review the problems I missed from time-to-time. And in the case of certain problems, I find new lines that busts the solution. This has caused circle 4 to drag on longer than usual.


Circle Alternative
There had already been a lot of proposals regarding the optimum way to go about this cirle. But as for me, if I were to do it over again, I'd split the problems by 500, and do two separate circles program. With a month gap in between to work on strategy/position/endgame or something. Its just takes too long completing the 1000 problems straight away. Sometimes one needs to step away a moment and reflect on the past.

p.s.
The miami heat won - yes!

p.s. II
I saw The Godfather for the third time. Each time I see it, my appreciation for this film goes deeper. This might just be the greatest movie on earth. Marlon Brando's performance here is very, vey good. The guttural voice, the slow heavy movements, The habit of pointing a finger during talking. I've seen a few tough guys before and believe me, he has that part down cold. Michael's evolution to the hard new Don, Santino's death, the pacing, the dialogs, everything is perfect. Some movies make you wanna walk-out the first 5-minutes. This pulls you in for the whole three hours. My favorite line ,apart from "I'm gonna make an offer he can't refuse", was Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day

Yeah, attaching strings to people never looked so good.
 
posted by Nezha at 8:26 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    (I've been a computerprogrammer for about 10 years AND I have done martial arts in the past AND I'm a couch-potatoe now) OR Does anyone see comparisons between the knights?

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger bahus

    My name is bahus and I am a computer programmer.

    I’ve been a programmer for over a decade.

    Sometimes I manage to go for weeks without algorithms, objects and databases only to yield again.

    - bahus

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger Unknown

    J'adoube here. . .I've been a software engineer for 21 years.

    I'm also a black belt in karate. I know of several black belt chess playing people.

    Rather weird correlation. . .

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger David Glickman

    I don't know what to make of the martial arts correlation, but I do have a hypothesis re: computer programming.

    Most bloggers are relatively young -- teenagers, twenty-somethings. For us old guys there must be some connection which explains our interest in the web and "cutting-edge" technology/social movements. As a group, I'm sure computer programmers have a much higher degree of technology optimism, comfort and interest than the general population (or the general chess playing population). Therefore, it is not surprising that they would be over-represented in the chess blogosphere.

    For the record, I am not a computer programmer -- but my work often involves researching and studying the latest trends on the net.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight

    Go Celtics!

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger fussylizard

    I hear the commentary on the Godfather DVDs is fantastic. My in-laws gave me the set for Xmas a couple of years ago but I've not gotten around to watching it with commentary yet. Soon, I hope.

    RE: Chess and programming: both involve structured thinking, which may explain part of the attraction.

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger scitcat

    I have been a programmer/software engineer for nearly 10 years.

    I have a blue belt in brazilian jiu jitsu and trained muai thai for a while. I am too old for that nonsense now (35 - I still like to watch the fights tho). If any of you watch the UFC you may know who Rich Franklin is, he is one of the people I used to roll with.

    I think we should just classify ourselves as competitive computer geeks who want to be good at chess and know how to kick your ass.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza

    I for the record am not a computer programmer; just a guy with a computer, a bad chess habit, and a girlfriend who is slowly becoming more and more intolerant with my MDLM tom-foolery.

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger CelticDeath

    I'm not a computer programmer by trade, but I do a lot of visual basic programming in my job as a financial analyst. I've also begun learning C++ (just for fun). I've entertained thoughts of getting involved with game development.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Időbeosztás-guru

    Got me here. I'm a programmer, mainly doing Java, but hopelessly in love with Python, and I also do databases when needed, along with bits of XML and C/C++ stuff. Yes, I know this is not the place for a CV, but couldn't resist. :)