Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Hyper-Accelerated Circle
I decided to go to circle four of chapters 1-13. Partly due to CD's theory of learning, and partly because I want to finish the circle before the two new books I ordered arrives. I am reserving the last chapter 16": Conjunction of tactical method" as a sort of test chapter. After completing the seven circles, I should be able to solve half of the problems in chapter 16 or otherwise I should have to add more circles to hammer the patterns down.

But, I have alredy forgotten the solutions to half of the problems. I find that I am re-calculating the variations. Its faster now, but not in a way that I can do it in under a minute. I dont know how fuzzylizard does it but last night, I managed to solve only about 30 problems in 3 hours. So that's about 6 mins per problem. Huh!? the other knights reported hundreds of problems per day. Am I missing something here?

Two Books
Before I lauched the circles program way back in december, I had three new books I just ordered. The art of attack, Tals games, and Storming the barricades. Them books cost me $70 dollars. Havent opened any of them yet too, but I dont think they would help me yet in my current state of development.

Based on recent events, I think my main weakness now lies in calculation and positional play. So I ordered two new books to try and remedy it. "Excelling at chess calculation" and "Simple Chess" by Stean. The excelling book I would use as a workbook to boost my calculating strenght, and the simple chess, along with a review of judgement and planning by euwe should remedy my positional deficiencies.

The circles should end by may, so I should be able to study this two books extensively by june. After that, I will restart the 7-circles again, using the same materials to really burn them in my brain.

And then I'll go back to the tournament and them beat them kids into oozing puddles of dirt. "Fools I'll destroy them all, ahahahahaha!!!".
 
posted by Nezha at 9:47 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger bahus

    Some time ago I ordered Art of Attack (Vukovic) and Life and Games of Mikhail Tal (Tal) from Amazon.

    I started Art of Attack but didn't get far, somehow I didn't have the time to really read this book properly. And this book deserves to be read the old way - going through the moves on chess board (accompanied by fresh coffee and heavy pipe tobacco).

    Tal's book is also very good. I like the way he writes and explains background to the games. Tal's games are of course full of wild sacrifices so it might be a good idea to read first AoA.

    I haven't heard of Storming the barricades, what kind of a book is it?

    - bahus

     
  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Nezha

    I havent opened the books yet so I cant give feedback on storming. But the amazon reviews are very good. It was authored by larry christiansen, one of the alledgedlly attacking masters of our times.

     
  • At 1:26 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    Am I missing something here?

    The first 3-4 circles calculation plays the main role. After that when pattern recognition helps a hand, pace will speed up.
    It is not a linear proces.
    If you use simple problems, as I did with step 3 and 4 from TCT, then the speed is high from the beginning. But a problem is only simple for you because parts of it are already in your pattern-recognition-brainlobes.

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Even having seen certain problems 10 or 12 twelve times, I still have to calculate them - it just takes less times each time I do them.

    IMHO, the first circle should take you as long as you need so you can do as much calculation practice as possible so that when you get to the second circle, if you make moves simply because you remember it from previous training, at least you'll fully understand the problem and not just remembered the solution.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger CelticDeath

    I don't worry about solving speed until I get to the 5th circle. I find that with each circle I do get a little faster until I can pretty much look at the puzzle and the answer pops out immediately (by the 6th or 7th circle). I find that the first 4 circles are for developing full understanding of the problems as well as for trying ways to "bust" the solution and see why the solutions are as they are. Circles 5-7 are for burning the patterns into your mind.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza

    Art of Attack is actually the book I plan to read after this whole circle business is done. Once that's done, I'll probably line up another tactics program. For me, I'm going to go whole hog on tactics, tactics, and more tactics.

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Christian

    Do not calculate unless you see a pattern. It tells you what to calculate. This is what saves time and lets you do a hundred puzzles an hour.