Monday, April 18, 2005
Its looks awkward
and unsusual that a grown-up man, married and with two kids can get all worked up because of a chess game. It may seem cliche if I say this, but the losses made me feel this nagging pain in my heart. It almost feels like when I was a teenager being dumped by a girl. Even now, two days after I still feel dejected. So I played at FICS last night and won two games from two 1560 players. I feel much better, and I think I can tell the story now of what happened

1. Game 1: Nezha-Indonesean guy 1-0

The game was a pirc-ulmann defense. The guy seemed to know his theory too, since at analysis he told me all sorts of things about the opening. "This is a wasted move here, etc.. etc..". Result 1-0. My first victory, and what I thought was a nice way to start a tournament (Ahh, If only I had known)
Total Time: Nezha 22Min IndoGuy 25 (Flag Falls)

2. Game 2: 13yrOld-Nezha 0-1

The second game, I was pitted against a kid. Now this kid was a previous tournament winner, so I cant take him lightly. It was an english against a KID. We reached a good middlegame, then a QR vs QR endgame with equal number of pawns. But he was three-two advantage in the king-side , while I had three-two advantage in the queen-side. I pressed for the win, overextended myself and lost on time when he generated multiple threats.

I lost this game but this was the most satisfying because I learned a lot about chess here. The most important thing was when during analysis, another player showed me a way to properly play the position. It involved using my queen-side pawn majority (QPM) to pressure the queeside. The cartoon lightbulb figuratively went on in my mind. You see, the QPM is chapter two of "judgement and planning" by Max Euwe. A book that I have read twice from cover-to-cover. But only now, when I missed using it in my own game, and somebody showed me the technique, did I felt I trully understood the Idea.

A second minor thing here was the realities of tournament chess. Going for the point everytime is not a good idea. Sometimes, the position dicates that I just be happy with a draw. Trying to get something more would just cost me the game.
Total Time: Kid 20 Nezha 25min(Flag Falls)

3. Game 3: Nezha-OldGuy 0-1

I played e4 and I was hoping to play the KG, but he played the french. Pfft, whimp => But it seems as though he memorized that opening as he blittzed thru that phase, and still got an advantage. I was under-pressure the whole time and came under a mating attack. Total Time Nezha 20min OldGuy: 15min

4. Game 4: Nezha-Teenager 0-1

Now this was a critical game, I've already lost two in a row, and losing here would be crushing to my ego. It was another french. Whats wrong with these people. Why cant they answer e4-e5 so I can play the KG? Ok, I got to a good middle game, but made some inaccurate moves in a level position and promptly lost.

Lesson learned: I was forcing the issue too much. There was nothing to do in that position and I tried to generate something, anything. I should just have made a waiting move and tried to see if he would commit a mistake.
Total Time Nezha 20min Teenager: 15min

So I lost this game, and as result, I played the next two games passively and lost to two kids in short pants. Ohh, How I hate those kids.


But now, here is a summary of the lessons. I paid dearly for these, so I better make sure I darn well remember them

1. The Queenside pawn majority - I should review the technique in handling this. Euwe clearly explains what pieces are needed, the correct positions, etc. so I should be able to use this next time.
2. The Draw - I want to always win, but sometimes a draw is all I can expect. Petrosian would have nodded approvingly somewhere.
3. Forcing Issue - In a level position, with interlocking pawn structures, My violent attempts to sieze the initiative failed. I would try to use consolidating moves next time.
3. Opening - You cant wing an opening in a G/25 tournament.
4. Training Games - I need to play as many slow games as I can. Tactical exercises are no substitute for this (If only I go to work 4 hours a day).


p.s.
Thanks to the guys who gave me advices on my last post.
 
posted by Nezha at 11:22 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger Christian

    I know your feeling perfectly. I do much blunder in fast games, so I find it better for my ego to concentrate on slow games where I can do a systematic blundercheck, loose pieces scan and the like.