Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Just Nothing
About CTART
I used to attend japanese lessons. And one of the harder things to study about this language is its alphabet system. A minimum of about 2000 basic chinese characters have to be memorized to be able to at least read a newspaper. And so to make it easier, the teacher wrote the chinese characters on index cards and displayed it to us everyday. After weeks of this, I thought that I have already memorized the characters. Until I have had to write it, and only then did I find that I dont remember it too well at all. Not until I took the painful work of writing those character down 10x everyday for one year did I really remember them. Seeing it
in flashcards wasnt enough. The physical component of actually writing it down etched the patterns in my memory deeper than any amount of visual stimulus did.

And why am I telling this here? whats the point? The point is that while CT-ART has its problems, I think that using it is much superior to what I had been doing. I think the physical act of moving the pieces, albiet only in the computer, etches the patterns deeper than only looking at the problems in our head. It is unfortunate that I am already at circle two of chapter 10 when I remembered that lesson from my japanese class. Otherwise I would have ordered the CTArt though I already have the book.

MOROZEVICH
I am intrigue with this guy. Ok stop, not with the girlfriend ok. Wanna just make that clear. No, I am not being defensive. Ok, Ok!? Anyway, I have played thru some of Shirov's game so I am at least familiar with his play. But everywhere I look, people says that moro is weirder than all the other grandmasters. That he loves risky and complicated games. Sounds like my kind of guy. You see I am looking for another GM apart from Nezh that I can pattern my play after. Maybe one of the knights can give feedback? Maybe one of these days I'll download a PGN of his games and try to study her.. err.. the PGN I mean. Not the girlfriend ok, the PGN. Hehe!
 
posted by Nezha at 8:48 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza

    I definitely agree that moving the pieces helps with the learning process. Just lookng at a diagram and then looking at the notation in a book would not, and does not work as well as watching the pieces move across the squares for me.

     
  • At 4:13 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    A grandmaster I have taken as a role model is GM Joe Gallagher.
    He plays aggressive and writes with humor, which you seldom see.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    If you use CPT and like Moro try Chigorin!

    I'm a big fan of Moro and the chigorin opening has be "re-invented" by him. I think the bible about chigorin is now available in english too. Look for IM Bronznik (publisher is the German company Kaniaverlag.de). Here is a review:
    http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/jwatsonbkrev46.html

    Regards,

    Stefan