Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Simple (Tactical) Chess
You know what my problem is with regards to tactics? Its this: I envision long king sieges, elaborate mating traps, but all the while I continuously miss simple 2move combinations.

Thinking about a grand king-side attack when I cant spot a simple fork!? How silly is that.

I think I have to go back to basics. As they say, before we learn to walk we have to learn to crawl. So I will attempt to simplify my game. Just play a good, simple tactical chess full of two-three move combinations. In the hope that one day I will be so good using this type of play that I can branch to using more elaborate techniques.

But that day may never come. However, in the meanwhile no long term plan of campaign will be deliberately made. No complex-of-square strategy. No opposite-bishop ending will be aimed for. Nothing.

Nothing but an ever present eye watchful eyes for tactical chances.

Nothing but a constant search for combinations.

For verily, just as Tartakower said

  • The blunders are all there on the board, waiting to be made.
I hope my opponent makes them before I do, lol!

But this does not mean I wont use positional concepts. Why wouldn't I? Forgetting something I already know will be silly too. This will just mean that I wont think about them deliberately. But if it pops in my head, then hey, cool.

To help me in looking out for tactics, this two quotes will be kept in mind:
  • The combination player thinks forward; he starts from the given position, and tries the forceful moves in his mind - Emanuel Lasker
  • If the student forces himself to examine all moves that smite, however absurd they may look at first glance, he is on the way to becoming a master of tactics. - Purdy
--
Perhaps Ill buy a book about Marshal or Spielman to see how players with a strong bent on tactics/traps go about their own game.

I've ordered the "How to become a deadly chess tactician" book. I wanted to buy a book, and was gonna buy "My system" but due to my new found philosophy, ordered this book instead. Hope I find it useful.

Anyway, here is a miniature I've played last night. Just because..




- fin -
 
posted by Nezha at 9:04 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger Nick Short

    That chess board looks cool.

    Jonny Rage (http://jonathanrage.blogspot.com).