Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Just Nothing
One of the things I noticed about myself was I tend to lose interest once the game is virtually decided. You know the part where somebody is up a piece, or a great positional advantage. In those cases, if I was on the losing part I immediately resign. Waiting for opponent blunders from a losing position is not really interesting.

However

If I was the one winning, and the my opponent don't resign, this has serious consequences. Since I don't concentrate anymore, I tend to blow my hard fought advantage and lose. This is really apparent from my games with U1500 players. Time and again, in under 15 moves, I'll get some tangible advantage, get puzzled why my opponent still continue to resist, watch television while waiting for his move (By that time they would had been thinking for a long time), just move the pieces around and.. blunder..

I resolved to rectify this because this is the greatest hindrance to getting a high rating.There was a time I won 20points by successively beating three 1700 players, then immediately dropping 20pts by losing to a 1200 player. I went 3-1 but in the end my rating stayed the same.

Now people will say "Why are you so winded up by your ratings, just play for fun". To which I reply "Its more fun having a higher rating". Come on man, don't tell me you don't care about it, As in not at all? For example - I don't let it get me down, but at the same time I derive great satisfaction from seeing my rating rise. Don't tell me you don't feel the same way. It could be just a small attachment, but there sure is one in there, even if just a little. I haven't met a serious chess player who didn't want to get a higher rating. Anybody who tells me they don't have any kind of emotional attachment to it is lying.

I play chess because I enjoy it. I also enjoy seeing my rating rise.

Its the natural way of the chess world.

Resistance is futile.

--
Sumo:

I really find sumo interesting. Two fat dudes trying to throw each other around doesn't seem interesting but the more I watch the more I get hooked. The various throws and techniques are really something. I've watched judo matches, and I can say that sumo entertains me more. The other day, the yokozuna was playing and his opponent just extended his arm too far and next thing I know, he was flying in a Steven Seagal-like circular aikido motion. Its amazing how fast they move when you think about it.

The players too got marked preferences. Some are known for their "Right-outer hand technique", some are masters of the "Inner-belt grip". But my favorite player by far is is the one sumo player who specializes in slapping technique. He'd come rushing at the opponent with his 12,000 slaps/second charge and slap the opponent silly.

He might lose, but having get to slap gigantic fatso's is really awesome.


E.Honda's teacher
--

Btw: I'm watching Corus and whats happening to Shirov? Where is the fire on board? He is crashing big time.
 
posted by Nezha at 7:57 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments: