Sunday, December 03, 2006
Practice!?
I've been analyzing my games and i have come to the very definite conclusion that I suck at tactics. How can this be!? I wondered to myself. Ive completed the circles, and diligently practice at CTS every day. However, in every game - in every single game, tactical opportunities are constantly missed. For example, take this following diagram:

(Nezha - Lliamah)

White to move


There are two tactics here (try to guess - both are from whites pov). In this position my opponent saw one tactic, and I saw the other. And we were blind as a bat to the other. This problem constantly manifests itself in my games. I've spotted quite a few tactical opportunities sure, but the number of things I don't see is disturbing.

I can just say i need more practice, but golly gee, awww shucks!! (hehe - how gay this sounds) when will "practice" ends.. Well, maybe never. As long as one plays one must practice i guess. *sigh'. (Practice!? We talkin about practice!?)

Anyway, our FICS "rating" is nezha: 1703, lliamah: 1839. I gave this number so any lower rated player who might be reading this blog can think about these things:

1. Nezha doesn't know any opening variation. I play it by ear from move one. (Sometimes I try wacky stuffs just to see if it will lead to interesting play).
2. Of course Nezha study positional play, however his strategy is weak comparatively.
3. Nezha doesn't study the endgame
3. And yet Nezha was able to reach 1703

Then ask himself the following question "Given 100 hours of study time, and given the choice between study of opening lines, strategy, endgame and tactics, where do I concentrate by study time?"

I leave it my "hypothetical" reader to decide.
(Warning: Higher rated players not included.)
 
posted by Nezha at 6:19 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 3:01 AM, Blogger bahus

    I'm thinking about just taking that pawn : 1.Bxb7 Rb8 (1...Nxf4 2.Bxa8) 2.Nc6 Bxf7+ 3.Qxf7 Qe6 4.Nxb8 Rxb8 that wins a pawn and an exchange.

    Is there something better?

    - bahus

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Blogger Nezha

    > I'm thinking about just taking that pawn : 1.Bxb7...

    Very good, this is indeed what happened in the game.

    The other variation is:
    1.f5, Nxd4
    2. h3 - and the bishop is trapped. Winning a piece for two pawns and a shattered kingside.

     
  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    Solved both within 2 minutes total.
    Pfewww, I'm glad I seem to be good at tactics, even when I don't think so myself. It's a typical situation where one start to look for tactics because ther must be something.

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger transformation

    you sound like a naturally very gifted chess player. impressive! thx, dk