Thursday, May 19, 2005
Petrosian
The book I was reading "Simple Chess" is about positional play. So naturally, it uses model games exhibiting clear positional themes. Most of these games I noticed are from three persons - Botvinnik, Petrosian, and Fischer. (Is fischer a positional genius?) Well, anyway - The games are very, very smooth. The moves seems very logical, flowing from one move to the next, and one that even I can understand. But, why cant I play like that? Why is there not that logical progression in my game? Just a series of two-three moves. A pawn push here, some check there. Not the strategic plan conducted from beginning to end like Petrosian. I understand nothing about chess it seems.

Anyway, here is a quote from petrosian regarding tactics

"Although to many this seems strange, in general I consider that in chess everything rests on tactics. If one thinks of strategy as a block of marble, then tactics are the chisel with which a master operates, in creating works of chess art” - Petrosian

Body Routine Interfering with Circles
I have a routine. Everyday, I sleep at about 12pm. Very rarely do I stay up later than this. But since I wanted to finish the circles on time, I figured I should extend my waking hours to maybe about 1am. This way I could do more problems. But the thing is, at about 12pm, my eyes would suddenly become heavy. I would close it for a second and... wake up at 7am in the morning. Its like having an auto-shutdown procedure. I tried short-circuiting it with coffee, but it didnt work. As as result, I am lagging again in the amount of problems I have to solve. Hopefully, I can catch up this coming weekend, but if this continues, I may be forced to skip work so I can finish the circles.
 
posted by Nezha at 11:16 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Christian

    Positional/tactical are just 2 sides of the same medal. It requires tactics to get a positional advantage. It requires positional advantage to get a tactical win. So I think that all the so called positional geniuses are also tactical geniuses, but they prefer to play for steady advantage rather than fast complications.

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger CelticDeath

    I understand the time constraints! With 2 kids and daily physical workouts, I often go to bed a 12a or later.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza

    Cool Petrosian quote!

    You are getting close to wrapping this thinp up. Good Job!