Monday, May 16, 2005
Multiple 7-circles
I went to a tournament last saturday. Unfortunately, the organizer failed to show up. We went a few hours waiting for the tournament to start, but when it became apparent nobody was going to organize, an impromptu blitz tournament was raised instead. Now, I dont like blitz so I did not participate. I did however strike a conversation with another player. I learned a lot of very interesting things. Like when we were playing, it amazed me how fast he sees tactics. I mean, afer I play something, he would say "that's no good" and then rattle off some 5-move combination. Wow, I was blown away. Things I see by calculating, he sees instantly. Wish I could have tactical vision like that. He told me that he can defeat master-strength players at ICC (About 2200), but find it difficult playing against 2300+ players. This suggested to me just how good at tactics a master is. It also humbled me because I realize just how much work I have to do to improve. Now, I am currently doing the 7-circles but I have to say that
The circles is necessary, but not sufficient"
I think, even completion of one 7-circle program is not going to get me to that level. So now, I am thinking of doing multiple 7-circles program. I have to do problems over and over and over again. Stopping only when I reach "Flabbergasting speed of chess comprehension". Right, Like I can stick to a plan like this. But it gives me something to shoot at at least.

Status Report
Completed circle 4 of chapter 11. Semi-completed chapter 12. I have only three more chapters before total completion. This will give me at least two more weeks for circles 5-7. Maybe I can do the whole 7 circles after all.
 
posted by Nezha at 6:42 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 12:08 AM, Blogger Időbeosztás-guru

    Interesting...so if masters are so strong at tactics, then a GM's strength must be frightening.

    " The GM will often blow out the IM in this area. (tactics) "
    -- Nick de Firmian

    Blow out the IM?? Now that's something. And just yesterday, somebody called Ponomariov "weak" at ICC :) Not to mention that those 2600-Elo GM's are getting no respect nowadays...

     
  • At 2:32 AM, Blogger Nezha

    > GM's strength must be frightening.
    I dont think elo numbers accurately portrays just how good 2200++ above players really are. I mean the guy I talked to, didnt even looked at the board that long. He just glanced at the position momentarily, and saw termendous amount of moves (and he aint even a GM)

     
  • At 3:28 AM, Blogger bahus

    I like your idea of multiple circles. After getting through with CT-Art I plan to focus on something different but starting another intensive tactical training with different set of exercises later this year. Maybe those 1001 Reinfeld books would do fine.

    I am a huge fan of Glasgow 3rd floor Chess Radio show on Playchess (every Wednesday at 20:30h CEST). The games are interesting and the team Aagaard & Shaw very entertaining. What I like most about the show is seeing and hearing these two IMs analyze moves that listeners suggest. "Well let's see, now black could play.." followed by a long refutation. Most often the final tactical motifs are familiar to me, but they see those motifs far ahead - they know how to play 3-4 moves in order to get into position that allows a combination.

    We've got a long way to go.

    - bahus

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger CelticDeath

    It just comes with continuous practice, Nezha. Dan Heisman has stated that Zsuzsa Polgar, even at her level, still does a certain number of tactics problems everyday to stay sharp. I have gotten to the point where I can usually spot the solutions to 1 and 2 move problems instantaneously, 3 - 5 move problems regularly (but not instaneously), 6-7 move problems about 50% of the time, and 8 or greater move problems about 10% of the time on a fresh viewing (i.e., a newly encountered problem and not one worked recently as part of the 7 circles). Sometimes I have even recognized the game (like, "oh that was from a Capablanca game") if I encounter a position again. It just comes with practice and hard work.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker

    This weekend I saw GM Friso Nijboer analysing a game he just played with his opponent. Yes, that's really frightening how extreme fast the variations flog around your ears. And tactics everywhere. We can only be sure that we train in the right way if such pace is the result of it.